5023 Posts
Master
Unknown
26 Years Old
Female
Scorpion Theme

17 April 2015 @ 2:09am
17 Apr 2015 @ 2:09am

Inspired by the Gamespot and IGN reviews, here’s my short review for Mortal Kombat X.
Note: I made this review without having played any of the online modes.

MKX is brutal, it looks great, and it’s a lot of fun. Its way better than MK9, even if it has less content like fewer arenas, no stage fatalities, and a shorter story mode. But the awesome visuals, improved kombat, and the addition of the variations make up for it. The new Krypt is pretty cool and there are tons of unlockables there. It’s also worth mentioning that the boss fights in MKX are not even close to being as cheap as they were in MK9. At least in medium difficulty, I was able to win every match without losing in my first try.

+ Improved graphics
+ Better, smoother, more tactical gameplay
+ Variations add diversity to each character
+ Lots of unlockables

- Very few arenas
- Short story mode
- A few new boring characters

I give MKX an 8/10

Give us your MKX review!

Sinestro

2999 Posts
United States of America

17 April 2015 @ 8:32am
17 Apr 2015

Joined 20 Jun 10
2999 Posts
Master
United States of America
33 Years Old
Male
Tanya Theme

17 April 2015 @ 8:32am
17 Apr 2015 @ 8:32am

To be quite honest, I feel like you pretty much nailed it. My take, slightly different.

Julián wrote:

+ Improved graphics
+ Lots of unlockables / Neat Krypt
+ Characters that fit well into the MK world

- Short story mode
- Still no Konquest (I'm forever on that lol)
- Feels less "MK" to me lore-wise...

I give MKX an 8/10 - Completely awesome game, fun to play and the Faction thing seems cool. I love having daily challenges and so forth, and contributing to an overall goal with other players worldwide is pretty neat.

Give us your MKX review!

BarakaBrat

10695 Posts
Unknown

19 April 2015 @ 8:46am
19 Apr 2015

Joined 6 May 07
10695 Posts
Godlike
Unknown
33 Years Old
Unknown
Tanya Theme

19 April 2015 @ 8:46am
19 Apr 2015 @ 8:46am

Komplaints:

*Too many MK1 and MK2 characters.
*Not NERELY enough MK4-MKD characters.
*Half the new characters are offspring of older characters who ALSO happened to make it into the game.

Kompliments

*Amazing graphics
*Amazing fatalities
*Amazing storyline minues the whole next generation thing.
*I enjoyed the storyline, but it was too short. Does this happen before the deadly alliance and Onaga?

Julián

5023 Posts
Unknown

26 July 2015 @ 10:57am
26 Jul 2015

Joined 18 Jul 08
5023 Posts
Master
Unknown
26 Years Old
Female
Scorpion Theme

26 July 2015 @ 10:57am
26 Jul 2015 @ 10:57am

BarakaBrat wrote:

Does this happen before the deadly alliance and Onaga?

It's supposed to, but with the whole time skip I'm not sure.

After spending more time with MKX, unlocking items, getting new and classic characters along with costumes, classic fatalities, stage brutalities, and also playing the online features, such as the Living Towers, the Faction War, and online matches, I gotta say that the replay value on this game is pretty high.

As an update to my final score, I'll give MKX a 9/10

Warrior

1163 Posts
Unknown

4 August 2015 @ 10:36am
4 Aug 2015

Joined 10 May 07
1163 Posts
Champion
Unknown
26 Years Old
Unknown
Scorpion Theme

4 August 2015 @ 10:36am
4 Aug 2015 @ 10:36am

Here's my short review.

I'm big on story, if the story is bad then the game is bad...to me.

The story is complete bullshit, why is cassie cage the new MK hero? Why is she the one to destroy Shinnok?

The team of 4 seem like a bratty bunch of kids going on an adventure like some movie.

I feel MK is going downhill, it's been going downhill since MK Armageddon and this BS has hit the nail in the coffin.

My MK journey (which began with MK2 all through to now) ends here. I can't be bothered to wait for another piece of shit that screws up the good old MK.

Be happy with what God gave you, and use it to reach your maximum potential...or in my words; "give everything you do a viciously strong effort!"
Pacperson

2264 Posts
Unknown

4 August 2015 @ 2:51pm
4 Aug 2015

Joined 9 Feb 07
2264 Posts
Champion
Unknown
26 Years Old
Male
Quan Chi Theme

4 August 2015 @ 2:51pm
4 Aug 2015 @ 2:51pm

Warrior wrote:

Here's my short review.

I'm big on story, if the story is bad then the game is bad...to me.

The story is complete bullshit, why is cassie cage the new MK hero? Why is she the one to destroy Shinnok?

The team of 4 seem like a bratty bunch of kids going on an adventure like some movie.

I feel MK is going downhill, it's been going downhill since MK Armageddon and this BS has hit the nail in the coffin.

My MK journey (which began with MK2 all through to now) ends here. I can't be bothered to wait for another piece of shit that screws up the good old MK.

While I can't completely disagree with you, yeah the story was a huge disappointment....and other features were pretty underwhelming (Faction and living towers)

....This is still probably the best MK, at least in terms of how it plays, that said tho, i still can't get into it.....Other games like skull girls have soared MK for me....it still feels sluggish

InLeonidas

6536 Posts
Honduras

7 August 2015 @ 10:01am
7 Aug 2015

Joined 20 Apr 08
6536 Posts
Master
Honduras
27 Years Old
Male
Reptile Theme

7 August 2015 @ 10:01am
7 Aug 2015 @ 10:01am

The bad:
- Short story mode
- Few stages
- I was hoping to see more characters from MK4

The Good:
- The graphics are amazing
- Some of the fatalities rock!
- Pretty cool story mode

The Ugly:
- Short combos
- Heavy characters
- New characters are not the kind of characters I hope to see in another MK game.

To be honest I prefer MK9 over this. It's not a bad game but in terms of the gameplay during the battle, MK9 is better in my opinion.

6.5/10

Replaced my blood for iced tea.
Warrior

1163 Posts
Unknown

9 August 2015 @ 11:27am
9 Aug 2015

Joined 10 May 07
1163 Posts
Champion
Unknown
26 Years Old
Unknown
Scorpion Theme

9 August 2015 @ 11:27am
9 Aug 2015 @ 11:27am

"- Feels less "MK" to me lore-wise..."

Whoever said this, you hit the damn nail on the head, that 'MK lore' feel isn't there, which makes me throw this game up.

The MK team are not doing what they used to :/

Be happy with what God gave you, and use it to reach your maximum potential...or in my words; "give everything you do a viciously strong effort!"
CoolCarl222

29 Posts
Unknown

12 August 2015 @ 4:28am
12 Aug 2015

Joined 7 Jul 11
29 Posts
Peasant
Unknown
25 Years Old
Unknown
Ermac Theme

12 August 2015 @ 4:28am
12 Aug 2015 @ 4:28am

i agree with everyone who say that this game didn't add much to the lore, but i think that this game is more of a transitional game. to elaborate on that more i feel like this game had to push past the entire mess that nether realm created. This game moved 25 years into the future, which will kill off characters soon enough, as well as open up many opportunities for new characters, as well as new storylines for old characters. I feel that MKX is a bridge game, as its going to be used to get further away from the first series as fast as they can without making it seemed rushed, but yet offer enough story so that people don't think that this game is a punt but as an ability for change. in order to get the change we want, a lot has to happen in this universe, much of which we probably will not like. We have to be open to change for these games to have even the slightest possibility of enjoying them. Basically you have to take this series (the reboot) as a stand alone series that has nothing to do with the original (cause we all know how that turned out). Look at me, im a Smoke fan, yet im having to live with him so close, yet so far away. I have since dabbled into different characters like Ermac, and Kotal Kahn, and even Tremor to widen my horizon for new kontent.

Julián

5023 Posts
Unknown

16 August 2015 @ 11:40am
16 Aug 2015

Joined 18 Jul 08
5023 Posts
Master
Unknown
26 Years Old
Female
Scorpion Theme

16 August 2015 @ 11:40am
16 Aug 2015 @ 11:40am

My (updated) MKX Review

MKX is brutal, it looks great, and it’s a lot of fun. Its way better than MK9 in terms of graphics, voice acting, fight scenes, gameplay, and lasting appeal, even if it has less content like fewer arenas, no stage fatalities, and a shorter story mode. But the improved kombat, awesome visuals, and the addition of the variations make up for it.

With time, stage brutalities were added, as well as classic fatalities, classic and new costumes, classic and guest characters, and the gameplay itself has been fixed or ‘tweaked’ multiple times. Most of these additions are only available if you paid for the extra content, which ends up taking $40+ dollars out of our pockets. For some this may not be such a good thing, but for MK fans like me, it’s all worth it in the end. Also, the fact that most of this content is being released throughout the upcoming months keeps me coming back after a few idle days without playing MKX. The arenas may be few in number, but this time they replaced quantity with quality – the few arenas in MKX look great and actually play a part in the story. The new Krypt looks really cool, it’s interactive and there are tons of unlockables there. It’s worth mentioning that the boss fights in MKX are not even close to being as cheap as they were in MK9. Or even back then in the UMK3 days. At least in medium difficulty, I was able to win every match without losing in my first try. To be honest, I was expecting Corrupted Shinnok to kick my ass.

The Living Towers are a neat addition. With the weekly, daily, and hourly towers it’s always fun to keep playing and finish every challenge. The challenges from the War Towers and the Faction War also give the option of even more playability. That leads to the Factions. Factions may seem unimportant at first, but they play a major role in MKX. With 5 factions to choose from, each player engages in the ‘Faction Wars’. Fighting for your team earns ‘War Points’, and at the end of each week the winning Faction is announced. This is kept consistent with rewards such as koins, points, and borders, backgrounds and icons. This small addition of the border system I find to be particularly good. I get to choose my own border with a background and an icon. I like that it’s not just for show, because each of these has a unique effect, such as earning more koins, faction war points, and experience points.

The online play is unfortunately laggy most of the time. If we’re not playing against someone with a good internet signal, we’ll be doomed to the dark pits of the Lagrealm. You’d have a better time playing local multiplayer against a friend… or foe.

We’re given the option of finishing our opponents with nasty Fatalities, quick Brutalities, and the newly added Faction Kills. Each character has two Fatalities, each gorier than the last. Netherrealm Studios used the new generation consoles’ technology in order to present the most gruesome Fatalities to date. It’s got nicely detailed gore, and the blood looks more realistic once it splashes and disperses on the ground. The Brutalities are nice and simple, and the characters have from 5 to 6 each. Then comes my least favorite kind of finisher, Faction Kills. These are easy to perform, some are boring, and a few are actually terrible to watch.

It’s also worth mentioning how badly the DLC was handled. Straight from the get-go, we get a huge promotional image of Goro right in the middle of the main menu. And if you didn’t pre-order the game, you will not be able to play as Goro unless you buy him for real. This leads to the store, in which we need to use real money to buy insignificant things such as easy fatalities, and a key to unlock every single thing in the Krypt. The replay value of spending hours upon hours to unlock a bunch of items is completely gone if you’re willing to spend an additional $20 to get everything. This is a waste of space and money, and it makes Netherrealm Studios look like beggars, as if they weren’t making enough money to begin with. These things may not ruin the experience of the actual game, but as an MK fan, it bothers me to see how low the makers of these games are willing to go.

Overall, the thing that really keeps me hooked with MKX is the gameplay. As some people say; it’s easy to pick up, but hard to master. Anyone can play through the whole game by simply learning a few combos and a few special moves. But actually being good at it is a whole different thing. This being said, there’s no way a button masher could stand a chance against someone with experience. Something in specific that makes the gameplay more deeply layered is the newly added Variations. This addition alone gives the player more options to choose from for each single character. These styles alter the appearance of each character and have unique special moves, and in some cases, unique combos. MKX has the smoothest combos of any other MK to date. It’s fast, hard hitting, and in most cases, it has the most tactical gameplay of any Mortal Kombat game. The gameplay is the most important part of any fighting game, and it’s safe to say that MKX is excellent because it’s fluid and quite enjoyable.

+ Improved graphics
+ Lots of unlockables: Concept Art, Music, Fanart, Fatalities, Brutalities, Emoticons, Backgrounds, and more
+ A great deal of replay value: Story Mode, Klassic Tower (Endings), The Krypt, Living Towers, War Towers/Challenges, Online Mode, Local Multiplayer, and Additional Towers such as Endless, Survivor, Test your Luck and Test your Might

- Short story mode filled with a huge gap of a not-so-interesting side story, a few dull characters, and scenes containing cringe-worthy daddy issues, along with a boring love story.
- Very few arenas
- Online Lag

9/10

MasterAssassin33

5 Posts
United Kingdom

10 January 2017 @ 7:03am
10 Jan 2017

Joined 24 Feb 15
5 Posts
Peasant
United Kingdom
35 Years Old
Male
Raiden Theme

10 January 2017 @ 7:03am
10 Jan 2017 @ 7:03am

Ok I would be inclined to give 7.5/10 ..

MKX is a solid fighting with a flawless Combat system and graphically its simply stunning but I really think the concept is a complete mess .

Guest characters - Ive been against guest characters from the start and I had a gut feeling as soon as WB acquired the franchise the inclusion of irrelevant hollywood characters would start making their way to the roster , Jason was ok and I guess the only character that could find a place within the MK universe but Kombat pack 2 was a complete failure ( other than Bo Rai Cho ) I would have been made up if it contained the inclusion of Reiko , Fujin , Baraka and Noob Saibot , I think NRS need to re evaluate their content managers decisions more closely , I understand WB are trying to appeal to new comers so in turn they want representation from recognisable characters , but the ironic thing is that Mortal Kombat 's success was largely due to its unique characters and arenas which was never seen before in any video game.

Secrets and Surprises - What I loved about Mortal Kombat was the hidden surprises the previous games contained , Like the thrill of discovering Reptile in MK1 , to looking for Smoke peering behind the trees in the living forest in MK2 , MKX seriously lacked this .

Arenas and Death Traps - Need I say more on this , I find a travesty that we had to await MK to upgrade to XL start having the pleasure of throwing your opponent on a bed of demonic blades and quite frankly other than the Pit and the Dead Woods the areas are stale empty and boring and seriously lack the enchanting Mystical and Dark atmosphere and Far Eastern ambience the previous games had .

Character Roaster - Referring to my first paragraph I did not like any of the new additions to MK and Cassie Cage saving Earthrealm and all reality from Shinnok is a ridiculous plot which lacks any real logic to the Mortal Kombat Lore , it was a very poor plot and a total mess , and the Kombat kids failed to impress .

Mortal Combat 2011 was a far more superior experience than this .

Sub-Zero

233 Posts
United States of America

24 June 2017 @ 6:58am
24 Jun 2017

Joined 31 Jan 07
233 Posts
Enlightened
United States of America
23 Years Old
Male
Sub-Zero Theme

24 June 2017 @ 6:58am
24 Jun 2017 @ 6:58am

EDIT:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My post was bothering me so I wanted to go into further detail.

See if this makes any sense, MKX, in my opinion, was a Mortal Kombat game that was finally "Mortal Kombat" again, but at the same time, it suffered from being too "Mortal Kombat" again, follow me?

The old-school arcade era games had a lot of that colourful comic magic, but at the same time they were the Dark Fighter. We had the Capcom style fighters, Street Fighter, KOF, Darkstalkers, Final Fight, Marvel/Capcom, etc, and even during the 3D era we have our Virtua Fighter, Bloody Roar, DOA, Soul Calibur, Tekken, and so forth. All these colourful and bright, crisp and shiny fighters with their chrome display, excessive swing and hit sounds, numbers and stats flying all over the screen, and corny anime dialogue. Mortal Kombat was the other side, and really the only (notable) one of it's kind. MK didn't care about the flashy lights and shiny objects, it cared about dark characters, brutal visuals, limits being pushed, Mortal Kombat was Heavy Metal in a world of Pop Music.

When Mortal Kombat hit the years of Shaolin Monks, Armageddon, MK vs DC, MK9, They began focusing hard on the cheese. They became very Superhero-Comics, funny enough, sort of like DC, somewhat Marvel in the camp but with a hint of Darkness, when honestly, they should be more along the lines of Dark Horse Comics, like they were with Deception era. MK is the dark game, full of violence, brutality, characters they didn't put their hands on their hips and buff their chests stating "I will be the chosen one to defeat evil!", no, it was a D*mn Demon Ninja grabbing some conceited actor by his throat threatening to make him swallow his own testicles. It's a mature game that got very immature during the 360 era, because just look at the story, it is a bunch of barrel chested men standing shirtless around a campfire talking about "chosen ones" and how "friendship will triumph over Evil"... this is why I hate Raiden.

MKX finally went back, aside from the poor choice of Wiz Khalifa (Good god...................) we see the trailer and it looks fantastic, dark, detailed, gritty, but I was skeptical because MK9 did the same thing with the trailer featuring a Disturbed song (Perfect! Keep it that way! Not F'ing Rap!) so I didn't hold my breath. Then the game came out. I was in awe, I hopped in Multiplayer with my brother and in traditional fashion I selected Sub-Zero and he Scorpion to see what this game had to offer. We were amazed. The gameplay was smooth, sticking to the traditional side-scroll view, it was fluid like DOA, not choppy like Deadly Alliance - MK9, The dialogue was gruff, the blood was gut wrenching, the graphics were haunting, everything about it screamed "THIS is Mortal Kombat", then we scanned the character select screen, bunch of old favourites, cool costumes, save for Ermac looking like my (deceased) Grandfather, hey this Erron Black dude looks cool... Oh no... Kotal Kahn? whatever, one bad character... wait, D'Vorah? Good lord no... and what the **** is a Ferra/Torr?! (or however it's spelled) and what's with the cast of One Tree Hill? What're they doing?! Hey Human Scorpion, neat.

I chalked up the newbies to Netherrealm not learning from past mistakes like Molloch, Drahmin, Kobra, Kira, Hsu Hao, etc etc... etc etc etc. Whenever they try to add newbies for some reason they always pale in comparison to anyone from 3 back. Plus I was confused, where was Baraka? Kabal? Rain? Noob Saibot? "Think about what happened in the story of MK9" you say? Okay but here's old man Liu Kang on the Char Select screen...

So to really figure out what's going on we hit the Story mode, and I was vastly disappointed. Was it better than MK9? Sure was. Was it Sh*t? Sure was. No one cares about Cage and Sonya's drama, Cage didn't interest us when he was all Tarantino, you think we're gonna care when he goes all Chick Flick on us? Why is Scorpion perma-Human? Are we gonna lose Demon Scorpion for good in multiplayer in future titles? Hey look it's Rain, Baraka, characters we care more about than that stupid Monk guy with the Bow/Staff, okay now they're gone, fightable, but not playable? You give us Ferra/Torr and Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah (Whom EVERYONE HATES but arguably has more screentime than anyone else!) but not Baraka?! I don't even like Baraka but he's a major fan favourite!

Wait wait....... they did what? They killed Baraka? okay wait no that's crap.... um... what?! MILEENA?! What the Hell Netherralm? You give us the wicked B*tch of the west D'Vorah, who as I said everyone wants to c**t punt across Jersey, give her more screentime than the main cast, making us roll our eyes at her every appearance, and then make her kill off Mileena?! Arguably the most Popular female character of the franchise since Mortal Kombat 2?! You guys are on Crack! And once again, no one cares about the Shaolin Kid with the stick... so much so I can't even remember his Name! "But he's gay" Good for him! I don't care! so is one of my best friends! That's not a qualifier for "interesting", that just makes him human! People can be homosexual, big deal, the character still sucks!

On top of all of that, they also did it... from all the "Yes, THIS is Mortal Kombat" that playing Multiplayer with my Brother did for me, we hit the story mode and I shook my head saying "Sigh... nope.... it's still Mortal Kombat".... It's still just as cheesey! I'm packing up my s'mores and camo because I just can't handle the camp in these games anymore! The story dialogue is still He-Man, 90% of the fights that take place are "Crap, each character needs X amount of fights... have _____ pop in out of nowhere and go 'I will end you' and have a fight, this system wasn't annoying enough in MK vs DC, MK9, or Injustice, so lets keep it up!" it's literally the fighting game equivalent of a Filler Episode in Anime.

I will say though, on the plus side, the game looks far more amazing than I ever thought they'd go, the gameplay felt amazing, even little stuff like Scorpion and Sub-Zero's primary costumes alone made this game the most appealing, because that's how they should look, hands down. Plus Revenant Sub-Zero? F*cking sick....

Now! For DLC... okay, yeah I was livid when I noticed we were getting Tanya and Bo Rai Cho, of ALL random people, instead of Rain, Baraka, or Noob etc, but Triborg was a good idea. Jason Vorhees? Fitting for the universe but I feel he doesn't play all that well, I hardly know anyone who uses him, so maybe they just dropped the ball a bit, idk. Leatherface.... what were they thinking.... Leatherface was a mistake and a half, toss him in with Tanya and Bo. But wait! I see a light... a character I have believed would be a perfect inclusion to Mortal Kombat since day one.... The PREDATOR! Anyone who remembers me from yesteryears on this site knows how much of a hopeless fanatic I am about Alien/Predator. Predator is a perfect fit for Mortal Kombat as well! Only issue... He looks a little funny... doesn't reeeeaaaally look like a normal Predator, proportions are way off, his head is ginormous, the mask looks funny, and he's arguably the scrawniest character in the game, even the Alien which is supposed to be skeletal is buffer than the Predator.... yeah btw wtf is up with the Buff Alien???? Also the Predator plays very strangely, but all in all, I'm happy with it, they may have fallen short on his appearance and made him play a little goofy but he's there, I'm satisfied. The Alien though.... Okay I'll admit, seeing the Alien in the DLC package made me happy too, I was excited, But he has three fighting styles, one of them should be a normal Alien, not a Tarkatan Alien... That was the perfect opportunity to have Drone, Tarkatan, and Praetorian, but nope, it's Tarkatan, Tarkatan, Praetorian... fail Netherrealm... I get that mechanics with Fatalities, Throws, X-Rays etc probably are the reason they couldn't give the Alien a long Head but honestly, I'd be happy with some moments of his head disappearing into the floor and awkward moments during fatalities if it meant getting a Drone fighting style for the Alien. But all in all, AvP in MK... honestly two of my top three favourite fictional universes combined, I couldn't be happier, even if they were... eh... subpar so-to-speak.

Everyone either praises or disses the Factions, I'm one of the Latter, I'm not an online guy, I buy a game and I play for the story and gameplay, and either play my roommates or Bots because Online is sh*t. When I play a friend, roommate, whatever, it's a good fight, some I win, some I lose, most are close matches, all fair fights, interesting goes, all good gaming fun. Bots, are like playing story or Arcade, good fair fights... Online...... yeah no.... it's either someone whose trying to play with their toes and just shouldn't be trying to be competitive, or they clearly either play the Hell out of that one character too much and know all the cheap shots and spam central, Online just isn't fun, so frankly I don't care about Online bullcrap, and when it comes to unlockables, sure concept art and stuff is cool and all but I've always only cared about gameplay unlockables, like arenas, characters, costumes, fatalities, things you'll use when you play, so as much as I like having Concept art and whatnot, the unlockables aren't a big sell point for me.

Pros:
+Graphics (Artist, Graphic Junky)
+Smooth Gameplay (Past games were too clunky and choppy for me)
+Character Appearances (Costumes and general designs were finally up to par)
+Fighting Styles (Vast improvement from Deception era)
+Theme (Dark, Gritty, somewhat realistic, less superhero look and more Violent Darkness)
+Alien and Predator!

Cons:
-Story (Short, Cheesey, comic-book-y, a lot of factors I did not enjoy)
-New Characters (None were interesting, all new characters were shoehorned in and childish and crap, save for Erron Black)
-Lost Opportunity Characters (Characters that should have and easily could have been included such as Rain and Baraka, even Noob)
-Story Deaths (Baraka, Mileena, etc)
-Fatalities (In my opinion they were less original and too focused on gore factor without focus on characters)
-Factions (Did nothing of interest)

Final Rating?

Video Game: 9/10
Fighting Game: 8-9/10
Mortal Kombat Game: 10/10
Replay Value: 8/10
Lore and Story Value: 5/10

8-9/10

BTW, hey guys, been a looooooooooong time....